Thursday, June 10, 2010

Firewood!



      O n occasion Dan and I take what we call mini vacations. Recently we decided to let the grass grow and the dusts settle as it may. Just for a day, all chores and responsibilities were put aside. We hiked, picnicked and just spent a leisure day together.



      Then I spotted it; a stack of firewood. For very obvious reasons, Dan was puzzled why I was laughing so hard at cut up trees. Probably this is one of those stories where you would have just had to have been there.



      What he did not know was my mind was carrying me back to Dallas years ago. It was one of our first of many trips to the city. The children and a couple of sisters were touring the sites and sounds of the city. We were having fun and just enjoying being together. I have a particular fascination for architectural design. In the Dallas area, there is much to admire.


      Like most Little Rednecks as brother in law Mike calls us, we were excited over many things. (By the way “BIL”, at my stage in life I am happy to be called most anything preceded by “Little!") All of a sudden our youngest sister points and shouts, “Look!” As we all eagerly turned to see what new beautiful structure was attracting her attention, she says, “Firewood!” What??? Dead silence; then hysterical laughter.



      To answer the question that undoubtedly popped into your mind. No. None of us are blonde. We do lay claim to platinum over the last few years though. Well, I did say you probably would have had to have been there to appreciate the humor!  Thankfully, that is one thing that is not lacking in our family!

Proverbs 15:13 - "A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit." (NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for reminding me of a wonderful memory!
you definitely had to be there!