Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Different Walk




     A young man approached me last week and asked if I would mind a very personal question. Of course curious, I gave him permission. He asked if I’d had breast cancer. Surprised I asked how he knew. His reply, “Most people don’t realize you develop a different walk. My mom died 15 years ago from breast cancer. I thought your walk was familiar, but when I saw your scars, I was sure.”



     He went on to say how treatments and surgery disrupt the body’s natural core resulting in impaired balance, coordination and stride. I was really impressed with his keen observation. Most medical professionals discount or simply do not address the long term effect on the body and soul.



     The conversation evolved into a much too common voice of regret. Too many of us regret not treasuring each moment with our loved ones. There seems to always be words unspoken and deeds undone. The Great News is they too have a different walk.



      Even after our parents leave this earth, they are still with us. They are never far away when we need reassurance and guidance. The Word planted within us is still very much alive. They remind of us of how precious and beautiful life is; no doubt walking along side Jesus as He hand picks generations of children to send down to us. No wonder we are getting the cream of the heavenly crop!



      A realization of their quality of life above can be a salve to our wounded hearts. We mourn and grieve for our loved ones. That is a natural process. They do not mourn. They see all things as Christ. A day is like a thousand years to them. They do not grieve for any suffering we may
be enduring. You see, they are expecting us to join them sometime today.



      Now, some folks that didn’t know my Momma may feel the need to challenge the theology of my thoughts. That’s all well and good as far as I am concerned. I’ll just let my Momma have the usual last word!


Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.  1st Corintians 13:12

NLT

No comments: