Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Nana Boat




When we first started having grandbabies we purchased a van fully equipped with factory installed baby seats.  I loved that van.  Dan had to pry it away from me.  It had become so not so gently worn, he was embarrassed for me to drive it.  One of our fondest memories was when our first grandchild named the van.  It was not a van she insisted.  It was a bus. Her mom explained since she saw the kindergarten bus/van everyday, all vans were buses to her. She then dubbed it Nana’s Bus.  The name has stuck.

I spent a great part of last week cleaning the boat.  She has had a rough time this winter.  It was hard on all of us. But she had to weather the storms without shelter in the cold icy waters of the lake.  We had not christened her with a name.  Since she has been through so much we decided to give her a special one.  She is now officially, “The Nana Boat”.

The covers we have for her did take a large brunt of the cruelty she sustained.  Some were torn to shreds.  Some I was able to repair.  Others the more I mended the more rips I found.  They were eventually discarded. One new seat cover has been ordered.  It is not exactly made to order but as Dan pointed out, “It matches the rest of her seat covers.”  Well, a girl does need to look well put together.
 
Of course the largest and the most expensive cover is the one that needs to be replaced.  I said to myself, “Self, you could beg help from your sisters.” They are super gifted in any kind of design and sewing; particularly upholstery. They could whip together anything The Nana Boat needs in no time at all. But, I certainly wouldn’t want to impose. I am a grown up.  I am not a baby. I can deal with this.

Oh who am I kidding?  “WAAH” I want my sisters!!!!!

That day when evening came, He said to His disciples, "Let us go over to the other side."  Leaving the crowd behind, they took Him along, just as He was, in the boat.  There were also other boats with Him.  A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped.  Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion.  The disciples woke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?  He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!"The wind died down and it was completely calm.  He said to His disciples, "Why are you so afraid?  Do you still have not faith?:They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this?  Even the wind and the waves obey Him!"
Mark 4:35-41




No comments: