Thursday, March 17, 2011

Peanut Butter

This has proven to be a much better week than the last. Neither Dan nor I were feeling well the better part of last week. He tends to be very testy when I don’t feel well. (Hmm…really?)



Just as little annoyances can spoil the vine of a relationship, the little gestures of love can preserve it. Dan has a few particular likes. Two of his favored are crunchy peanut butter and de-caffeinated drinks.



Try as I may, and sure I have selected his preference off the grocery shelf, I still find the wrong items in my pantry. Upon discovering one of the items, a box of caffeinated tea, I with some hesitancy took it to Kroger for an exchange. I was expecting some resistance but to my surprise, the customer service lady smiled knowingly. Apparently she too has one of those mystery kitchen pantries.



Last week, in between migraine attacks, I stocked up on what I thought was Dan’s favorite peanut butter. You guessed it. Something happened to two jars in the pantry. When I looked, they were no longer crunchy. Before I could remedy the situation, Dan came in from work with the crunchy peanut butter.



Of course the peanut butter in and of itself is of little importance. Dan’s attitude about it speaks volumes. He in discovering the error never complained or even mentioned it. He simple replaced it. That attitude encourages me even more to please him.  When you love someone, your happiness is theirs.





He, as my son said, rather recklessly asked me to help with a healthier eating plan. I have been obsessive with creating delicious healthy meals for him; even in packing his lunch. He asked last night for a meal I had prepared that he had particularly liked. He “thinks” it was chicken but wasn’t sure. He just remembered it had too much garlic, but he really liked it and wanted it again. (Sigh.) So, today I am scouring through my recipes calling for garlic. So far I haven’t narrowed the field by much. The majority of them have that ingredient. Whatever I serve, no doubt he will say it is great and thank me for my effort.



The first several days of our new nutrition journey were obviously a bit bumpy. He wasn’t feeling as well as he had hoped nor had he felt he was losing weight fast enough. He said he was just not going to weigh anymore! Okay. That may work too.



Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

2 comments:

Diane said...

I'm thankful to hear that you are feeling better. Doing things that bring happiness to those we love gives us such pleasure and brings real joy to our heart. What a blessing to have something so simple give us so much pleasure!

Many hugs.........

Diane

Kirsty Girl said...

Oh I love that: "When you love someone your happiness is theirs." So true.