Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Coffee Comfort


Our daughter in law says we have an addiction. She and my son are not coffee drinkers yet they continue to receive an assortment of fancy schmancy coffee makers. They do entertain a lot and use them on those occasions. It has become a bit of a joke to dig out coffee out of the freezer and dust off the coffee pot when we are visiting


Their best friends gave them a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas. Even the grandchildren have gotten in on the addiction. They race to brew a cup for Nana and Papa Dan when they hear the first signs of life from us. They are the cutest little baristas ever! Our youngest (so far) Lily will be three in August. I cracked up when she invited me to have our drinks outside on the patio. So I with my cup of coffee and she with her sippy cup had a special coffee break outside.


.
It is a rare occasion that we get to visit with my daughter’s family for breakfast. It is unspoken, I will stop on my way for fresh donuts and there will be a strong pot of coffee freshly brewed. We had a great laugh one morning. Grandson Riley decided he wanted a cup. Mom poured him a small amount thinking one taste would discourage him. He took a sip, gasped and said, “Sugar please.”




We too have acquired an array of coffee makers. They too are, for the most part, from our children. There are small pots, larger party size pots and iced coffee pots. For Mother’s Day, Dan gave me our own Keurig coffee maker. We are running over with coffee and pots. I joked we may have to expand our kitchen to accommodate our collection.






We Americans have a strange love affair with coffee. Coffee shops are a booming business. We gather with loved ones, visit and sip from our particular caffeine drug of choice.



That warm cup of coffee is a comfort. Just this morning I was remembering Daddy and our coffee breaks. When we were still on the bottle, he would give us a drop of coffee. I can still remember his giggle when we had our secret coffee cocktails together. I have written about the peace between my parents and me before their deaths. That is huge comfort particularly in my struggles with personal demons.



As is most things we are attached to, it is not necessarily the physical but the emotional attachment. I still have my Daddy’s coffee cup. It is too precious to drink from anymore, but it has a special place in our home. I hope and pray that our children and grandchildren will have many memories from our times together that will bring them comfort and a smile.



The Lord directs the steps of the Godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand. Psalm 37:23-24





7 comments:

Felisol said...

What a good catch of your grandson Riely.
I can feel his want for an immediate sugar relief.
How cute he is, with his wonderful curly blond hair. A rare angel.

Tammi said...

Hey! Here I am sipping a cup of coffee, and smiling because I remember my Granny...her birthday was May 23, and she was the one who gave me my very first cup of coffee! I thought I was "sumthin' special" to have coffee with my Granny. :) She's with the Lord now...but I do remember special times like this and it warms me up like a good ole cup of coffee! :)
Blessings!
Tammi

Saleslady371 said...

I love coffee, too, but do not have a gourmet coffee maker! You're right, a cup of coffee is a great way to socialize.

Linda Jackson said...

Ha. ha...gourment to me is still the old fashioned percolator!

Tammi said...

Hey Linda,
Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for your sweet comment on my blog the other day! :) We know that "every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above..." I'm just thankful for the ways in which He allows me to share the "gift of music"--His gift of music---for His glory, and to hopefully be a blessing to the hearts of others. :)
I left a comment in response to yours too. :) Here's a smidgey bit: "Both my mom and dad sacrificed so much just to provide for us kids. :) I remember her telling me the story of how she KNEW God had led her to buy that small policy in her Junior year of high school...and years later (many years later) after she and dad were married and had us three kids, we moved into a court; and there, as our new neighbor, was the very man who sold her that policy so many years before that! Amazing! The steps of the righteous are ordered of the LORD. Praise the LORD! :) Hugs to you too!" :)

PS.. I've been able to post a few more videos on the YouTube channel too. FINALLY. LOL :)

Hugs! Have a great week. :)

Linda Jackson said...

Tammi. That IS truly amazing. How great is that God of ours?? Just a reminder, He always goes before us.

Trish said...

Coffee and Grandbabies...life doesn't get better!
I so enjoyed the story of George and the brown shoes!