Sunday, December 16, 2012

Ducks to Water





Last week Dan and I traveled to Mississippi and Tennessee to visit with friends and family. It was a fun but whirlwind trip. A friend asked if I didn’t write anymore. Not purposely. Life has been well—life lately consuming too many things I enjoy.



With Dan gone during the week and work on and around the house in his absence has been very time consuming. That along with my full time part time job has been keeping me busy. The largest project and concern has been completed which takes a big load off.


Yesterday was a sunny but very windy day. Our plans to take the boat out on choppy water turned sour. This morning on the way to church the sky was gray but the lake was smooth as glass. Several small wakes began developing over the water. Several ducks were busily cruising for food leaving a pattern of wakes behind them. Nothing seemed to be of concern to them as they followed their natural instincts.



On our walk around the lake this afternoon we sat watching the ducks for a long while. We marveled at no matter what their environment, they kept doing what came natural to them.



Christmas is here and the New Year is rapidly approaching. Dan and I have discussed our plans for the coming year. Number one on the agenda is healthier living. Sadly we find ourselves getting caught up in busyness and overlook the important things in life.



We will slow down and take time to reevaluate. We will find the time to spend with friends and family. We will make exercise a daily priority. We will not be too busy to pray together several times a day regardless of the tasks before us. We will laugh at our human frailties. We will endeavor every day to forgive and let go.



Now that we are Village People, we have the best place in the world to enjoy God’s creations as we exercise our bodies and spirits. We will remember to be thankful every day. You will remind us won’t you Lord?



Humor does seem to find its way into our lives everyday. Yesterday I told Dan I wanted a face lift from Santa this year. “That’s no problem at all. Let me help Santa along.” He steps behind me and gives me one of his best wedgies. Funny. Very funny. That’s not the end I wanted lifted but I suppose it is a start.



We will pray for love, compassion and genuine concern for others. We pray all of these things will become as second nature to us as the proverbial duck to water whether smooth or rough waters, sunny or gray skies.




 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”


 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her

Luke  10:38-42


























No comments: