Monday, May 20, 2013

Living Well







We had noticed a number of snazzy convertible sports cars in the church parking lot as of late. We had assumed they belonged to the youth. In a manner speaking they do.



I dropped by to check on one of our 80ish friends recovering from surgery. Spotting a new convertible sports car in her carport, I asked if her granddaughter was visiting. “Oh no, that’s mine. I had to do something; my old car was over ten years old.” Silly me!



Another “youngster” tells the story of her purchase. “I was recovering from a broken hip and developed a blood clot. I decided if I recovered, I was going to buy the sports car I had always wanted.” She more than recovered; she is moving full speed ahead.



Sunday I had the honor of picking up our most admired friend for church. Ethel is 97 years old. She explained her daughter thought she was too old to live alone and surely too old to be driving. She declined her daughter’s offer to move her to MN to live with her. “Well, I have just had too many friends to up and leave them!”



She did reluctantly agree to move into an apartment and relinquished her large luxury vehicle. Ethel says she considers her apartment living much like living in a resort hotel. “I can do as little or as much as I want. I order my meals off the menu just like a fancy restaurant.” Best of all, she and her best buddy are free to go when and where as they please. And go they do. In style in their little sports coupe of course. Ethel says they may consider a van later own. Their walkers are beginning to take up too much space.



The longevity of these precious friends certainly is impressive. More important they are living life well and on their terms! You go girls!



3 John 1:2 “Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.”





1 comment: