Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Heart to Heart

As my children were raising me, I was determined they would have a good education and a better life.  That is typical of we parents.We always want a better life for our children.
"Dr. Son" and Dan checking out the golf course

When I dropped them off at school in another state, I felt my heart had been ripped out of my chest. The return trips home from visits never grew better.  The further away I traveled from them, the ache grew in my heart. Raising children to be responsible and productive adults is not about us.  It is all about them. Letting go is NOT easy.

The distance is even more difficult when those awesome grandchildren start coming along. I sometimes find myself selfishly wishing I had kept them more dependent and tied to my apron strings.  That is selfish indeed.  My son's family was presented with a great opportunity for their family. Unfortunately, they will be a two day drive away from us now.

During our many discussions about the change, they were encouraged to follow their dreams.  We are very happy for them. That does not stop that familiar ache again.

Mom flew out with the younger children aided by our eldest grandchild.  Dad drove with two kids and two cats.  We were excited they were able to stop over for a visit with us.  Connor and Meg are two adventurist and outdoor lovers of the grandchildren.  As expected, they loved it here in the Village.

Nana and Papa crammed as much as we could into the visit.  They drove the boat like old pros, under the watchful eyes of Papa of course. Pleading with Dad for a swim in the lake fell on deaf ears.They tried their best to "accidentally" fall in. Much to their dismay, they remained dry. Fortunately their were many more activities that peaked their curiosity.
Meg and Connor Mining

The time of their departure came too quickly. Plans were discussed for a return visit.  We watched them drive away until they were out of sight.  They may be out of sight but never out of our hearts, thoughts and prayers!


For this child I prayed and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to Him. Therefore I have lent him to the Lord. As long as he lives he is lent to the Lord. And he worshiped the Lord there. 1st Samuel 1:27-28

No comments: