Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Called by Name



Physical therapy began soon after Dan’s surgery.  He was embarrassed to walk the hospital halls in his “designer” hospital gown. I knew his robe would be too hot and heavy for him. I was sure a quick run to the mall would produce just the light weight robe for the occasion. No such item was to be easily found.   One young male clerk informed me that men no longer wore robes but leisure wear in the form of pajama bottoms and tee shirts.  I finally found a light weight cotton robe—in the Village.

It was the one and only robe of its kind on the rack.  The name and logo of it's designer was proudly displayed on the garment. I could care less about either. It filled the need.  My mind flashed back to a time when having this particular logo on clothing was a must have.  The logos may have changed over the years but our obsession with names has not.


A dear friend and I had a conversation on personal identities.   We both felt pressured to fit into what others felt our roles should be. Recently I tossed and turned during the night struggling with all of the church and community positions others, while well meaning, were sure was a perfect fit for me.


I asked God to help me sort through it all.  The answer, “Your name is Linda.”  The message was clear.  I was feeling stress because I was being pressed into man’s calling not God’s.  Our walk with God is a very personal one.  His plans are spoken to us directly. Even though our personalities and gifts are suited for a particular endeavor, if God has not whispered in our ear, it is wrong for us.

Thank you Lord that You have called us by name!


But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, Jacob, and formed you, Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name: you are mine.

When you pass through waters, I will be with you; through rivers, you shall not be swept away. When you walk through fire, you shall not be burned, nor will flames consume you.  Isaiah 43: 1-2








No comments: