Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Family of Friends

We have always felt blessed to have such a wonderful family of friends. During Dan's recent open heart surgery and recuperation, once again we are humbled at the outpouring of love and support.


Favorite things....car mags

It will be three weeks Wednesday and Dan is really doing well.  We seem to have finally licked that nasty fever that kept plaguing him. He has been taking a few limited outings and brief walks. Although he wanted to drop a few pounds, he has lost 25 in two weeks.  We do not recommend this weight loss plan! 

I said to him today, I am very happy he has chosen a positive attitude towards his healing.  He happily announces to all he is doing great. All things considered, that is very true and we are thankful. He fails to mention that after minor exertion, he is down for the day. He still has trouble breathing and really has to limit his conversations.  That is perhaps the most difficult challenge for him. He does love to talk.


Favorite things....frappe

Today he took a walk up and down the flat part of the street. He napped until lunch.  It was such a beautiful day he had lunch on the deck then back to napping. He became very emotional hearing from one of his childhood friends. His goal today is to attend evening worship service. If we make it, it will be the first since his surgery.  We both look forward to it. 



I started displaying all his cards but ran out of room.  I took a notebook to the hospital with me and asked visitors to sign.  I was so glad.  The first thing he wanted to know when he could speak, "Who was here?"  I did. not have to worry about forgetting anyone. It was most encouraging to him as I read the notes left by friends and family.

Napping at home with his pillow and Razorback blanket



All of the email and face book messages have been saved for him to read when he feels well enough.  I have tried to keep him briefed on all well wishers.


I will not make an effort to list all of the many acts of kindness and support for fear of leaving one of you out.  The ole brain never had the brightest bulb but it is dimmer and flickers more often these days! I have to make one exception.  Those beautiful notes of crayon and knock knock jokes from the grandchildren did his body the most good!  I know all you grandparents get that!

Rest assured, each and every one of you have touched and blessed our lives for the better.  Keep praying! We feel them!

As he recovers I try to surround him with some of his other favorite things. Auto magazines, Razorback blanket, mocha frappe and a friend's fat free sugar free banana bread. Yummy!

Another friend has taken him to the local coffee shop for a mocha, of course.  He was a bit sheepish sharing his space with gals having their quiche lunches.  But then, he did have the "co-owner" to demonstrate how to chill. 
"Co-owner" of coffee shop demonstrating the art of chillin'

Lunch patron....love the vanity tag. Do you think?

For us family and friends are interchangeable.  Our friends are our family and our family friends. Thank you for the blessings you are.





My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion.

Psalm 73:26

No comments: