Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Drama Team

The Jacksons had a bit of drama this past Saturday. I wanted a Dogwood tree for my birthday. Forgetting how difficult it is to plant in rock, the project took me a while.  Swinging a pick ax is not one of my gifts.  It wasn't long before I needed a short break.  I plopped down in a chair and the next thing I know the sun was asleep and the rain was coming down.

Dan is very protective of his tools.  I was trying my best to retrieve the tools from the weather before he awakened.  No such luck.  I was caught in the act. After the tools were cleaned and stored away, I attempted to haul potting soil up from the basement. Not my best idea-climbing up a wet hill with a load. I ended up face down in the mud.  I looked like tar baby.  Mostly my pride was hurt and I did forget my faith for a few seconds.

My drama was minor.  Dan scared us to death when he passed out trying to shave.  His head ended up in the sink. I managed to get a chair under him when he came to. We understand it is common for blood pressure to drop as his did but his passing out is not common place for us! He has not felt well since.  Even with the surgeon's words to slow down and stop complaining the patient grows more impatient.

Even with the drama and my carelessness, we escaped with minor bumps.  We are thankful we are not the only guys with failing hearing and eye sight.   A friend approached me Sunday night to ask how Dan's gout was.  "Gout. What gout?"  On the way home it hit me.  I had been misunderstood.  My statement, "Dan has passed out" was heard as "Dan has gout."

My birthday has started out very well. Dan had a confession first thing.  He bought a birthday card for me before his surgery.  Unfortunately, he cannot remember where he hid it away.  When I happen upon it, it will be a nice surprise! We have a gentle rainfall which is perfect for resting.  After a breakfast of waffles, Dan is down for a rest.  Our friend Jerry plans to spend the afternoon with Dan and Pastor Jon. I have a date with the girls.

Our dear friends John and Nancy invited us to a lovely Sunday lunch in their home. Our new and much loved Pastor Jon and wife Jackie joined us making it a double blessing.  We so much appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed the much needed the break.  The table was beautifully set and Nancy prepared our favorite foods. Thank you for the many ways you spell love!

Feeling yucky and impatient as he is, Dan maintains his humor.  Like a baby, he looks so peaceful napping.  I said to him he must have been a really cute little kid. His response, "Well, I have always been little." 

...He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber not sleep. The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand.  Psalm 121:3-5


No comments: