Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kaleidoscope Mind




I haven’t blogged since Christmas. My mind has been going in all different directions; hopping from one thing to another. The weather has been cold, snowy and icy. As I have said before, I do not do well in these dark wintry days. Our bodies crave the sunlight. Some days I give into it and veg out by the fire. More often though, I give the body the light it requires to keep plugging along.



As I wished, for Christmas, I received time with loved ones. What a blessing! With daughter Misty and family, we played, visited Santa and had lunch. While Papa, son in law Neil and baby Sullivan napped, Riley and Nana were enjoying a spirited dueling of the swords before Mom decided a quite activity was in order. Yummy cookies were baked and decorated.

Mom and Riley baking Christmas cookies.



Sullivan all Christmas smiles!
 


Trying out snow disks inside.
 


Bake cookies or sword fight with Nana?  Hmm.
 
One of our favorite gifts from son Michael and family was a Snoopy Tree laden with home made coupons. The coupon gifts ranged from gingerbread decorating competition to a New Year’s Eve outing at medieval Times with family. We went ice/snow sledding (indoors at the Texan Gaylord), took nature walks, movies and such. Simple times are the best with loved ones.







Son Michael with children
 



Skipping rocks
 




Joshua at Medieval Times


Celebrating Megan's 10th Birthday
  
I met a friend for coffee this morning. She expressed she too had been struggling with her faith. We talked about our intense love affair with God when we were baby Christians. Both expressed our desire to have that hunger every day. Really, we haven’t lost our faith in God, but more in ourselves and others.



A new relationship with God is much like a new marriage. When on our honeymoon it is new and exciting. In a good marriage the honeymoon lasts, it just takes a new form. Love changes and matures as it grows. Such is our relationship with our Lord. He is always faithful and the love affair continues, even when we are struggling in the wintry times of our spiritual lives and kaleidoscope minds.



My friend and I both find ourselves moving into new areas in our lives. Questions about the future and our changing roles in family, professions and ministries whirl in our minds. Doubts were expressed how we could effectively minister to others when we are so frail and imperfect in our walk. Once again we are reminded; it in through our weakness that He is strong. It is good to have a friend you can bear your soul with. Once things are out in the open, they seem to become more clear and focused.



A few years back grandson Riley wanted Max and Ruby stuffed animals. The store had one but not the other at the time Mom had shopped. Riley asked, “Nana, what’s a Max without a Ruby?” By the end of the day, Nana made sure Riley had both Max and Ruby!



Just like a Max and Ruby, we do better when we walk with true friends. A true friend, holds you lovingly accountable, and encourages you in your walk. I don’t usually make New Year’s resolutions. I do pray about what I can do to better myself. I am asking God to give me the gift of being an effective listener. I pray that by the Spirit and help of dear friends, I will stay focused on today’s walk and stay in the Son light. I pray that I will trust God and not rush to judgment or try to fix things on my own. May He grant me the wisdom to say, "I trust you Lord" in all things.





9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:

10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.

But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.

11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?

12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.

A cord of three strands is not quickly broken
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NIV)

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks for taking the time to
share your wonderful pictures
and catch us up with what's
been going on with you and
yours. I enjoyed it! And keep
those fires burning in your
relationship with Jesus!
Shalom!
Sandy

Mrs. Mac said...

Winter is such a good time for reflection ... I think we all go through the valleys and hilltops.