Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanks and Giving



As I passed Santa's mailbox today I caught a flash of red out the corner of my eye.  I turned to see Jolly Old St. Nicholas himself dashing away. Even before Thanksgiving he is checking his list and rushing orders off to be filled. I have no doubt all the young ones I know will pass right over the naughty list on to the best behaved. Right?





In Christmas past I have agonized over the best gifts to give.  It was/is never an easy task. Now that we have chosen to make charitable donations it is even more difficult to decide.  There are so many needs and wonderful organizations around the world it can be overwhelming.

Recently we met a couple serving as missionaries in East Africa. They discovered that while school is "free" in that particular corner of the world, if students could not afford "fees" (really bribes) they were not taught and often physically and emotionally abused by their educators.

Works of art  My favorites are the simple ones by the younger boys.

They came up with a brilliant idea, no doubt birthed by the Holy Spirit.  The missionaries made use of discarded coconut shells and taught the young boys how to make necklaces to sell for their tuition.All they have is determination and a small hand held grinder. If you have ever wrestled with a coconut, you know theirs is not an easy task.
Working hands. 

When I heard the tuition for one year per child was $40.00 I knew immediately what this "Nana Claus" would be delivering in her sleigh.  If you receive one of these labors of love, be reminded of how blessed we are.  Better yet, pass it along to a favorite teacher.

May you have a blessed season of thanks and giving!



"The Lord Bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."Numbers 6:24-26


No comments: