Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cancer Sucks!


I will have to say the first time I heard this expression, I was less than pleased. Most assuredly not a word my mother would have approved of. Not with our staunch Southern Baptist upbringing. Today, yet another dear friend heard those dreaded words, "You have cancer."
My first personal experience with this disease was uterine cancer in my sister. She was quickly diagnosed and successfully treated. My father was not. He passed away from lymphoma at my tender age of 29. I was diagnosed March 2001 with breast cancer and recuperating from yet another procedure when my mother died on January 2002 from leukemia, followed by the death of my brother December 2002 from multiple myeloma. My parents went relatively quickly without a great deal of suffering. My brother did not. He waged a long and painful battle including bone marrow transplants.
So how does one cope with such an insidious disease? I was reminded of my mother in law's favorite verse, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13. She claimed this verse when she was waging her personal battle with breast cancer.
Surround yourself with friends and family that will lovingly support you. Take one day at a time. Trust God to give you strength and ability to make wise decisions. Stand your ground. Never stop believing in God or yourself!
In a sacrificial gesture, my husband shaved his head when I lost my hair from chemo. I was continuously covered by prayers and a continuous flow of food and offerings to clean my house. Be willing to accept all expressions of love however offered to you. This is my hope and prayer for you my dear friends.
Mom, I think even you would agree, CANCER SUCKS!



Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our LORD: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.  Nehemiah 8:10


King James Bible




No comments: