Friday, February 19, 2010

Car Wash Blues

     After all of the dreary cold days we have had this winter, we are pumped to have a couple of days of sunshine. We were beginning to fear Mr. Sunshine has taken a permanent hiatus. I decided, along with the majority of the cities population, to take my vehicle through the car wash. The lines moved rather quickly. With the exception of one poor soul, in front of me of course, who had mistakenly turned into the long lines and had to be lead through the maze back to the street exit. Thankfully, it wasn't me!

       I selected the "Best" wash as opposed to the "Better" and "Spit" selection. The poor little thing deserved it after trudging through weeks of snow, ice and road salts. When I finally approached the entrance, the attendant handed me a blue lollipop. "Oh, what a nice young man and thank you." (Yes, I actually heard myself say this!) I quickly realized the psychology behind his gift. After driving rather clumsily onto the rack, he informs me the car must stay in neutral and I cannot touch the brakes or the steering wheel. Did I detect an evil smile? A mild panic set in. I had never realized how difficult it is to not grab the steering wheel or hit the brakes when your vehicle is moving. The loss of control was unnerving.

     Thankfully, I had my blue lollipop to maul until I finally got the green light. Thankfully, I held it together long enough to make it through with a shiny clean vehicle. Then I heard a whisper from heaven; "Why do you try to control things in your life? For I know the plans I have for you!"  You have to admit, that's better than a blue lollipop!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."   Jermiah 29:11

No comments: