Thursday, February 18, 2010

"SIS"

Tonight is our monthly meeting of "SIS". Sisters in Survival. This year will mark the ninth year of cancer survival for me and several other sisters in our group. Recognizing there is more to coping with cancer than medicine, we banded together in our faith. This is how "SIS" came to be.

There are various denominations within our group, but common faith and cancer ties us all together. And as always, there is food and laughter! Faith is exercised in love, understanding and being available to those with need or final wishes. One terminally ill young mother was in need of provision for her young children during her treatment and after her passing. Another was granted her wish to visit the Grand Canyon with her family. Sometimes it is a simple as a card or movie pass.

 Large or small, the message is the same. You are not alone. We understand. Cancer does not define who you are. It does provide an unexpected opportunity to serve others. We are not just cancer survivors, we are over comers!

"My Sisters' Hands by "Sisters in Survival" My sisters' hands are fair and white, My sisters' hands are dark. My sisters' hands are touched with age, Or by the years unmarked. And often when I pray for strength to live as He commands, The Father sends me sustenance in my sisters' hands. "




When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. Isaiah 43:2
New Living Translation

No comments: