Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Aging Valentines

Tuesday, February 14, 2012



Today we celebrated another wonderful Valentines Day together. After all of these years it is just as sweet. Things are far from perfect in our lives, but our old hearts still fit perfectly together and beat in rhythm. I awoke to find roses from my sweetheart. He never forgets!



We celebrated with the old folks today. Dan met me at Fat City Grill (appropriately named) late afternoon for our celebration together. Since I had Bible Study Fellowship at 6:15 we decided to meet at 4:00. The place was already full of love birds having their special Valentines steak dinner.



The early arrivers were all older than we. We realized it was the rush hour for the Oldie Goldie group. You know those of us who need to be home before it gets dark?



Admittedly, we are not wild about aging. We often find ourselves frustrated when our bodies refuse to fully cooperate with our wishes. Tonight we saw sweet couples gently helping each other to their seats and ever so loving and patiently assisting in ordering their meals. They were obviously happy and still very much in love. Some were double dating; obviously friends for many years. Even though our bodies are aging, the love and compassion as it has with the guests around us, grows stronger.



It was so precious that I Corinthians 13, the Love chapter of the Bible was a part of our study tonight. Another reminder from above, Love, our greatest gift!



Happy Valentines Day!



If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing. 1st Corinthians 13:1, 13


And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.



1 comment:

Diane said...

Such a sweet post..........Since my husband passed, I always feel a bit of sadness on Valentine's Day. Since our very first one together when we were not even yet engaged, he was always so sweet to me, bringing me gifts and hand-written notes of love and appreciation. It has now been three Valentines Days since his homegoing.....I pull out all the old cards, notes, letters, etc. and read them one by one and remember each year the Lord graciously gave us together and the love He helped us to build. I am so thankful you and your precious hubs still have the time and opportunity to share love and laughter and continue to build that house of love. Many hugs..............