Saturday, April 10, 2010

Microwaved Sentiment

         Nephew Andy initiated a Facebook conversation about the demise of his microwave.  Ours bit the dust this week as well.  The discussion ranged from parents' old microwaves to, "they don't make them like they use to."

        "Goodbye sweet microwave. We've had many good years together, rest in peace. Seriously, how many people have ever had to replace a microwave because it died? I thought they were the only thing that lasted longer than luggage. Lori sold our old one last year. By old one I mean the 1st Micro mama and daddy ever owned; from like 1982! And it still worked! It was larger than a double wide but still!" .....Andy W.  (Pictured with wife Lori and son Logan)
                                                                                                                                  
         I made my first microwave purchase when the kids were small.  As it was quite expensive, $500.00 in the 80's, it was a definite luxury. My rational was it would be a great help in our crazy hectic life. That was back in the day with much talk of quality time.  As it turns out, it was more entertainment for the kids rather than providing faster healthier meals.  They invented a game, "Let's see which food can cause the greatest explosion."  If memory serves me correctly, one of their favorites was the egg.  I reminded them you must prick solid food before heating.  They didn't even bother to plead ignorance.  "But they won't 'splode'!"  Being forced to eat their shrapnel, seemed to curtail the game--somewhat.  At least I found less evidence of it anyway. They did have several "accidents."

       Getting over twenty plus years of service from that first top of the line Tappan microwave, I think I got my money's worth.  We purchased her second replacement this week. The first didn't last anywhere near as long as she and cost only a fraction of hers. She served us well the old Tappan.  So much so that the microwave in our household has become a necessity.  Second only to the coffee maker, if they fail, it is an emergency situation.

       I would agree. No. Whether it is good, bad or indifferent, they do not make things the way they use to!  Dare I say of the old Tappan; "She Was One Good Egg"?



Isaiah 43:18 Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past

No comments: