Thursday, May 13, 2010

Old People Smell



I have heard if you hear the same thing several times, perhaps the Lord is trying to tell you something. Lately I have heard a lot about "Old People Smell". I have heard the expression at least enough to make me paranoid. Well, a BIT more anyway!



My sister in law vacuums and dusts her home every morning. (Everyone that thinks this is an illness shout "911".) She declares that to actually be clean and not just looking it, everything must be shiny. I hate to say that seldom will you be blinded by glare in our household!



In the midst of a paranoid cleaning frenzy Dan calls to say his brother was on his way. A visit from Alan is always welcomed but I was not prepared for unexpected guests. Everyone knows to clean a mess you have to first make a mess, right? Upon arrival Alan asked shivering why we had the ceiling fans turned up so high. We jokingly replied (kind of) we were dusting. Since he failed to understand the humor, I am guessing his house doesn't have an old people smell.



After dangling from a ladder cleaning ceiling fans, Murphy soap for wood, then furniture polish, Windex for glass surfaces, SOS, Pine Sol and Bleach wipes for other surfaces, moving all the furniture to vacuum underneath, the thought crept into my mind. What if the smell is actually from too much clean? Oh let me dream for a while!



We find that family and friends are perfectly at home in our not always so shiny home. And that is a greater blessing. Or maybe, their houses smell like old people too?

Acts 9
(28) And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean. (35) but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right, is welcome to Him.”

No comments: