Monday, May 3, 2010

My Name is Jimmy

     
     Often times I find myself thoroughly frustrated with the lack of common courtesy and customer service these days. So many times cashiers will dispatch an employee to help load packages, etc. When and if one shows up they can be surly and resentful.  Not so with a young man I had the pleasure of befriending at a local retailer

     Jimmy was busy retrieving shopping carts across the parking lot when he spotted me struggling with my purchase. He raced over calling, “Stay right there Ma'am and I will help you.” I expressed my appreciation at his attitude. A broad smile came across his face as he pointed to his name tag. “My name is Jimmy. Anytime you need me, just call for me and I’ll be there.”

                                                                                      

     Society may label the “Jimmies” of the world as developmentally delayed, but their hearts are anything but. I have other friends and heroes. Stevie always warmly greets me at the grocery and “Boots” at the garden center. They almost take offense if you decline their offers of assistance. All three take such joy in serving others.

     So, who is truly handicapped? Those of us who are “normal” could learn much from these truly special folks. Their minds may be considered simple but they possess pure love and devotion to all they meet. They are indeed special folks with a message and a challenge for us that are not quite as special as they!

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.” 1st Corinthians 1:27 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW Jimmy and have worked with him for over 10 years. He may have his ups and downs, but he knocks himself out to help customers quicker than anyone I know. God Bless our store manager who sees Jimmy as a VITAL part of our store team!!!
Becky