Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Daffodil Day

     One of the most promising signs of spring is the daffodil.  We all get excited when we see those little faces popping out of the earth.  It's as they are applauding; heralding that winter is falling by the wayside and blue skies and summer winds are coming soon.

     They are such incredibly sweet creations.  Just like smiles from heaven; they appear for just a brief season. Most of their time is spent underneath the earth.  It is there they multiply and grow in strength.

     I have participated in the American Cancer Society "Daffodil Days" spring fundraiser over the years, but only most recently it has occurred to me just how appropriately fitting that slogan is.

     My general physician recommended I resume annual checks with my oncologist.  This Easter season will mark my ninth year of survivorship from breast cancer.  While I was thankful for my physician's concern, I immediately began to have flashbacks and anxiety issues from darker days.  I could finally drive past the chemo lab without becoming nauseated. It was all I could bear to think of returning to that place.

     Not only did I receive a clear oncology report, I feel a part of my soul has been restored.  I did not walk past the treatment lab and see the dreaded bags of "red devil" being pumped into pale bodies and weep.  I was thankful that it was my season of healing, restoration and to encourage others.
    
     As I drove into my driveway after that morning oncology visit, there they were to greet me.  Small little yellow blooms smiling as to say, we made it another year.  We are stronger and brighter.  Warmer days and blues skies are on their way.  It was my very own special "Daffodil Day."

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
Psalm 23:4 NLT


No comments: