Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pearls for Barbara

     After hearing she had been hospitalized, my thoughts turned to Barbara Bush.  She turns 85 this year and deserves to feel a bit under the weather on occasion I would say.

     When asked which presidential criticism was more difficult; husband or son Barbara replied, "Every hurt or every sickness for your children hurts more than-- I mean, every parent will tell you that." Though she tried to keep her personal convictions private, they often were not in agreement with neither son George nor husband George.  She also stated, after 60 plus years of marriage, she was still in love with her husband and proud of each of her children.

     A mother is a mother regardless of her station in life.  She loves her children equally but as differently as each child's personality dictates. She teaches them to be strong in their faith and their convictions, choosing their own paths.  (Even when we are sure ours is the better.)

     Barbara had the distinction of serving as both First and Second Lady of the White House and mother to a President. She preferred a casual lifestyle and unashamedly professed wearing her signature fake pearls to camouflage her wrinkles.
     Agree or disagree with her views, I admire her style and devotion to family.  So Barbara, we are wearing our pearls in your honor and sending you well wishes today.  After donning my favorite string, I have decided perhaps it is time to purchase my own set of fake ones.  I am wondering if they come in a larger size.  (Sigh)


I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the Truth.
3 John 1:41
New International Version

No comments: